Friday, March 2, 2012

Indescribable Experience at the Falls

3/2

Disclaimer: It's difficult to describe this experience without sounding like a total tree-hugger/nature fiend. So dad, bear with me.

Saturday

Saturday morning the sweet sound of my alarm at 330am did wonders for my mental state of being. I had gone to bed at 9 the night before, so luckily I got a decent amount of sleep, but was still put off by the fact that Jess and I were sharing a bus towards the ISA office with late-night partiers on their way home.

After loading into the coach bus that would take us to the international EZE airport, a girl in my program had an unzipped backpack she tried putting in the overhead compartment above me, which resulted in an aluminum filled bottle to the face at 430 in the morning. Obviously I was thrilled. My lip is still a little swollen, and this story is more to complain to my mom than actual plot addition to my trip...

The morning continued to run smoothly (note sarcasm), after we arrived at the airport we encountered an enormous line at the check in. Turns out the only international airport in the country's check-in system broke down. Typical Argentina. I was surprised with how not bothered by the whole process I was. I just plopped down on the floor with my backpack and tried to rest since it was still 5 or 6 in the morning.

After five hours of waiting, we were finally able to check in and board our 4-hour delayed flight. I think karma came back around from my first plane ride in (see first post in the blog) because the couple that sat next to me let me have the window seat even though I was assigned the aisle. The view as we approached the waterfalls was incredible- I've never seen something from nature on such a large scale before.

Arriving at the airport, it was pouring, so our weekend itinerary changed a bit. We were supposed to head straight to the falls that day, but because of the delay, we headed to the hotel and decided to do Sunday's itinerary instead. Our hostel was luxurious, with a pool and spa, and I shared a room with two other girls in my program, Hilary and Laura. We walked as a group to Las Tres Fronteras, which is a meeting point of Paraguay, Brazil, and Argentina at a river. After taking some touristy photos and absorbing the beauty of the jungle, we headed back to the hotel where a few girls and I enjoyed the pool in the rainy weather.

For dinner, it was a guy in my program's birthday, so we ate out at this amazing Chinese restaurant where the walls were covered in chalk from past travelers. I called it an early night and got some ice cream, where Kerrie and I ended up talking to this old Australian couple for half an hour about the drug wars in Mexico (so random but typical of my experience down here).

Sunday

The falls. Before I share this, between the balcony that looked over the falls and the train that took us to Devil's Throat, we took a boat that actually went under part of the waterfalls which was beyond amazing. It took us right under the water of Iguazu park and drenched and happy, there was no place in the world I would have rather been. I literally can't even put into words how wonderful this whole experience was, so I'm just going to copy the poem that's highlighted in the park about the falls.

Maravilla Natural- Garganta del diablo de Alfonso Ricciutto

Permite que tu alma sea saciada
con la belleza impar de este paisaje
que aunque el mundo recorras en tus viajes
nunca podrás hallar como esto, nada.

El bien y el mal dinámico y cambiante
encontrarás aquí, desde su nombre
lleva en tu humilde corazón de hombre
un mensaje verídico y constante.

Medita y siente la emoción profunda
frente al antiguo y vibrante paroxismo
que de brumas eternas se circunda

Y no intentes describirlo con tu voz
Solo inclina la frente ante este abismo
Que es el espejo de la palabra Dios.

Natural Wonder- Devil's throat by Alfonso Ricciutto

Let your soul be satisfied
with the odd beauty of this landscape
that although the world walk in truth
you'll never find, like this, nothing.

Good and bad dynamic and changing
find here, from ist name,
keep in your heart of man humble
a true and consistent message.

Meditate and feel the deep emotion
contemplating the vibrant climax
eternal mist that is circled.

And do not try to describe it in your voice
only he leans his forehead against the abyss
is the mirror of the word God.

Okay so super spiritual/out of body experience description, but that's literally how it felt being there. I can't even say anymore about it without sounding like a fool.

After the falls, we took a four hour bus ride, which after sleeping for a bit I got to chat with Elisa for a good portion, watching one of the most beautiful sunsets to date on our way to the hotel. At the hotel, we were served a sit down meal, which was actually so refreshing after such a long day with walking.

Monday

After a good night's sleep, bright and early again we left the hotel and started our next adventure at the ruins of San Ignacio. It was originally a mission where white settlers tried to convert the natives of the land, which obviously ended up failing. I don't know much of the history, so wikipedia it if interested. (There's also a movie with Robert DeNiro which I plan on watching eventually)

After the ruins, we spent 5 hours at a mate farm, where I lazed in a hammock and enjoyed an asada lunch. It was literally like wine country but mate country. It was a great way to finish a wonderful weekend. When we got to the airport, of course the flight was delayed due to the storm, so I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven while we waited, which I HIGHLY recommend. Great easy read.

We arrived in the city airport (not EZE) greeted with rain, so four of us split a cab home to drop us off on our front doorstep. I'll try and add more later to this post, I just wanted to get a good solid blog in before I leave for Patagonia... which is TOMORROW.

Besos everyone!! And check my Carnaval post- I updated the pictures!

 Aerial view of the falls
 Three points- Paraguay to the left, Brazil on the right, and standing in Argentina :)
 Dinner- notice the chalk!
 At the park- tons of these walkway balconies led us even up close and personal to the falls
 Literally felt like I was in a mix between Jurassic Park and Avatar
 Devil's Throat- most massive natural wonder that I've ever seen
 San Ignacio ruins
The mate farm

No comments:

Post a Comment