Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Second to Last Post

...before I'm home in my bed! While the day to day haul of being abroad sometimes caught up to me, I can't believe it's already May and I'm heading home in three days! While I had some sadness about leaving next week, I'd say I'm on an emotional roller coaster now, not really sure how to feel about everything going on.

I think I'm ready to leave this experience (optimistically definitely ready to get home), but I'm having random anxiety spasms about what to do once "home" arrives. It's been this sought-after goal in the distance, and now it's literally right at my door. I don't start my job until June, so I'm sort of at a loss of what to fill May up with once I'm home. I've been enjoying my last few days in the city, and can't help having weird feelings about leaving such a lively and foreign (literally) place.

This past weekend was a four-dayer... With random holidays like Animal Day (literally they celebrate their pets) accompanying Argentina's Labor Day, we had a luxurious amount of time to run last minute errands and enjoy final moments in the city.

Thursday was two friends in my program's birthdays, so we all met up at Chupito's, the shot bar. I personally am not a real big fan of this place (over-priced, over-rated), but because Christine wanted her bday celebrations to be there I happily obliged. Queue twenty minutes later and probably 100 American Univ. Belgrano students swarmed the bar, which was both fun and overwhelming.

After getting hardly our money's worth, a few of us headed out to Lost, sadly my last Thursday night at one of my favorite boliches. After about two hours though, I was tired and not really feeling the music, so I decided to call it an "early" night at 330.

Friday I stayed in to watch the draft and see Bryan go way early in the third round- GO JAGS.

Saturday I headed out early to shop around the outlets near my house buying last minute gifts for all the summer birthdays/holidays. Kerrie and I stopped at this adorable cafe, where I got a delicious quinoa salad with squash, tomatoes, and other veggies. We split a blueberry crumble for dessert, and it tasted a little too cold to be my favorite.

Side note: I officially don't fit into my pants anymore. Gracias, Argentina, for supplying me the freshman 15 I never got a chance to have.

Saturday night we decided to give ourselves one last Buenos Aires bang, complete with bars, boliches, and staying out til wee hours of the morning. My friends at the Roof bar not only remembered me, but requested I come back tonight in order to say goodbye yet again. Considering I have a final tomorrow, I'm staying in tonight.

I came full circle in Buenos Aires, making Crobar my first and last boliche experience. Mixing latin and American beats, I had a blast dancing, and even wanted to stay longer when my friends wanted to leave (abuela not so much that night).

Sunday I pretty much wasted the entire morning and day resting, although I did get a lot of organizing done in preparation to pack by cleaning out my whole room. Sunday night, Shawna and I went to one of her Argentine friend's apartment, where we had one of the most delicious meals in Argentina. (I feel myself saying that a lot when I venture outside my homestay).

Tomas (her friend) is a chef in the city, and he and his American fiancee cooked us an amazing Mexican feast complete with nachos con jalepeƱos, chicken, beef, spicy pork, GUACAMOLE (it's been way too long), and some wine/corona/tequila on the side. It was such a good night, that I didn't even notice I had stayed for over four hours, enjoying conversation and good food.

Monday I had another lazy morning, and met up with Kerrie in the afternoon for tea at the Hyatt. It was just as fun as I remembered it with my parents, and having a girls' night with Kerrie was just what I needed after feeling off these past couple of days. After tea, I went home for dinner, and met Kerrie again at her apartment where we enjoyed the last bottle of the wines my parent's left me.

Tuesday (yesterday) I was packing in the morning, but got so restless I just left my house and hopped on a bus to nowhere. No, actually I just got on the first bus that came and took it to the outskirts of Recoleta, where I enjoyed walking around and snapping photos of cool buildings. I meandered my way to the Floralis Generica- a silver sculpture of a flower that opens and closes with the sun (like a real flower) and took some photos since it's been on my to-do list since Day 1 in the city.

Randomly the market was going on, and I silently hit myself for not carrying any cash on me in order to swoop in on some last minute things... oh well.

Last night I ate dinner at Lupita's (again, sorry Dad) and ordered a different guacamole- this one actually tasted like Villa Sombrero's- and a burrito that was to die for.

Today I sat in a cafe for a couple hours after class in preparation for my final tomorrow... I should be more stressed, but the way grading works is that a 4/10 and higher passes, and I'm taking this class pass/no pass sooooo..... sea lo que sea.

Tomorrow I don't have many plans except to pack, Friday morning I'm getting brunch with some friends before our oral exam, and then Friday night one last trip to 878 bar. Then Saturday, off to EZE, which I'm sure will have at least one or two stories from it (after all, this is Argentina) and on a flight to Miami en route home.

Next time I write will probably be waiting in the Miami airport during my four hour layover (4am - 8am... WOOHOO), so chau for the last time probably South-American side D: wahhhhhhh
last night at Lost

Mexican meal!

Ralph Lauren in Recoleta

artsy flower

me and the flower

No comments:

Post a Comment