Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Teatro Colon y un Buen Martes

Hola! So today we're starting to learn the past conditional in Spanish, which is the first thing so far that I haven't seen before this trip. Exciting/nerve racking since our final is on Thursday? Our program consists of three sections, of which I started in Intermedio 2 (advanced) and will progress through Advanzo and then finally Proficiente. It'll definitely be an experience taking a class of all things I've never seen before.

So after class, some members of ISA toured the Teatro Colon, over a hundred years old and one of the first theaters to fully optimize acoustic sounds. The tour consisted of the lower areas where costumes and stained glass windows entertained our eyes, and the theater itself, massive and glorious and just absolutely wonderful. I definitely have to come back for a performance, even if it's for the standing-room-only cheap seats (which can run from anywhere between 10 pesos and 400 pesos which is 2 to 100 USD... hope its closer to the 10 pesos). There's a ballet, Carmen in April which I will most likely be looking into.

The tour was concluded with all of us sitting in the lower area of the Teatro, where our tour guide encouraged anyone capable of musical talent to sing. Bentley, one of the girls in our group has an amazing voice and sang some indie song I of course have never heard of, but none of the less was cool to listen to, especially in such a massive theater. Then everyone sang Wagon Wheel, which may be the greatest song ever.

After the tour, Jess and I went to Plaza Italia, where she found this textile shop that agreed to make/tailor her her very own dress. For like the equivalent of 30 bucks. Needless to say I will be returning. And buying a one-of-a-kind Argentine dress. The guy that worked there, whose name I think was Eureo? Ureo? I dunno but he was absolutely precioso. Definitely my Buenos Aires crush. Hands down. He was well mannered, happy, and spoke perfectly good English. He probably was early 20s (I have no idea he could have been 30 the people here all look so young) and offered to not only help me with my next dress but give Jess and I a more local-perspective city tour! We exchanged numbers and will most likely head to La Boca this weekend or next.

I'm so excited because it's been very difficult to make friends with locals in the city. On one hand, there are the typical portenos, where eye contact practically means you're down for just about anything, and on the other there's the fact that we usually travel in packs of like 20 Americans, making it difficult to branch out. Anyways, this Eureo seemed like an absolute doll, and because he has a business to run (family owned, we met his mom) Jess and I trust that we can venture out with him during the day. Worst case scenario we're taking the first bus/taxi back home. No Taken scenarios, I promise (which btw is a great movie). We'll see if we even follow through with it.. I still have to hit up Henry's high school exchange friend Marcos and a Berkeley Argentine Belen.

After the shop where we made new friends (woohoo!) Jess and I walked past home and into the downtown Palermo where we stopped at Limbo, a cute bar/restaurant for dinner. I ordered a lemon daiquiri and caesar salad, and she had a strawberry smoothie and ham/cheese sandwich, which sounds meager but keep in mind it's argentina, where her sandwich might have taken a loaf of bread to make b.c it was so much. Anyways, a great drink and huge salad later, we got the bill which told us our meal was 20 USD each. I love this city. Now we're just hanging out the two of us (my house mom is still stuck in a flood in the country) in the kitchen, listening to Argentine music playlists on www.8tracks.com and sipping on some 10USD Captain.

More to come later- attached I have some artzy pics from the theater. Besos!

 outside teatro colon
 these tiles were all hand placed on the floor
 laura, christy, and i inside the theater
one of the hallways in the theater

No comments:

Post a Comment