Monday, February 6, 2012

#thirdworldproblems

2/6

In such a beautiful, Europeanized city, it's hard to remember that Buenos Aires is considered the developing world. I'm truly adapting to the relaxed, easy going lifestyle, and enjoying simply living minute by minute instead of constantly planning and stressing about what comes next. When things go wrong, we simply say "cultural experience." Got lost? Cultural experience. Robbed? Cultural experience. Hit by a taxi? Cultural experience. I just thought I'd shoot a quick post before my recap of the week on things that definitely make me miss the States. (Sorry in advance for some of the TMI)

Also a little note: this is all meant in good humor, so I hope it comes across with a positive outlook...

Never escaping the heat
Because of the humidity and weather, I find myself constantly sweating, even minutes out of getting out of the shower. I have a fan in my room, but with one outlet (and lets be real I use my computer) it's often more of an oven than a sanctuary. Some adventures in the city are hindered due to a complete drainage of energy after only spending a couple hours under the sun. Restaurants provide small little wax or paper napkins, pretty sure for the sole reason of wiping that upper lip area when you're trying to seem presentable to a hot date. At least I don't have to care about hair/makeup since everyone else is sweating just as profusely.... Although the smell on the colectivos has really no benefit to it at all.

Lack of development
So last week, my host mom traveled to her country home (without telling Jess or I), so coming back from Pinamar I was greeted to an empty house. With no word from her, we quickly resorted to making our own dinner and hoping for the best. A scratchy phone call 24 hours later led us to realize she was stuck in the country due to massive flooding in the area. Since her country home doesn't even have built roads (all dirt/farm area) she had no access to getting out. Also since it was in the outlands of South America, she had very limited communication service, and that would be the only call we would get from her for the duration of her 3 day disappearance. Luckily she made it back safe, with empanadas in hand.

Lack of reliability
Waiting at the bus stop for forty minutes in the middle of the day? Normal. Subway shut down because of a strike? Figures. Freeway blockade preventing you from reaching the airport? Daily routine. Because of the hago que quiero attitude of Argentina, strikes, lackluster efforts, and missteps in scheduling are the norm here. Train is supposed to come at 10? Arrives at 1040. House mom supposed to arrive Sunday? Knocks to be let in Tuesday night. Order a hamburger at a bar during happy hour? Expect it to come two hours later. Patience is a virtue, and it's definitely one thing needed when dealing with daily city life in Bs As.

Lack of hygiene/public health fiend issues
First off- see my next post in describing my nail salon fiasco. But secondly- everything here seems like it could use some good old department of PH influence. The tools at the salons don't seem to be sterilized, and really how hard is it to put some metal in a tub of alcohol? The floor of my apartment may be as dirty as the streets- I literally have to wash my feet and then wear shoes into my room before getting into bed because my soles are close to black from all the dust build up. YUMMM. Again as said previously just the sweat. So much sweat. There's more, such as fruit stands and public transportation and water/puddles in the streets- but those are all problems faced in CA as well, so not really anything different.

Luckily I still have communication, although I think it's been four times now where the internet just decides to not work for hours at a time during the day, and really the only thing we can do according to housemom is "esperar con esperanza."

Speaking of sweat and hygiene, gunna hop in the shower, but afterwards will post an update on what I've been up to!

not that this has anything to do with the third world.. but one communist manifesto to go please?

No comments:

Post a Comment