Monday, February 6, 2012

End of the First Chapter

2/6

I promise to start updating more- but for now just see it as no news being good news! I left off at the Teatro Colon on Tuesday, and I've had a great week since then. I've really adapted well here, and it's amazing that I've already been in the city for a whole month. I didn't really realize how integrated slash how far I have come from my first few days until I met up with some fresh faces for Super Bowl Sunday, but I'll get to that later. In brief, I finished up exams for the first trimester with passing grades (I didn't wait around to get my letter grade since the transfer credits don't matter, but received an email saying I made it to the Advanzo class), and used this three day weekend to celebrate and get some much needed rest.

Wednesday:

With the stress of looming exams, Jess and I decided to head to a salon two blocks from our Apartment where we got our nails done. Salon services are super cheap, and usually a job well done. Unfortunately, my experience reminded me that this is South America, and things are bound to go wrong. For starters, I am 90% sure they were not using sterile tools, so I'm really hoping I haven't picked up any diseases. I loved the girl's personality who was doing the process- I say girl because she looked about two years older than me, but she definitely caused more harm than help. She was from Columbia and had been working in Argentina for three years. Side note of awesomeness- where else would I be able to practice for my exam by conversing with my manicurist? We spoke in Spanish the whole time, and I was surprised by my proficiency (usually I have a lot of struggles getting words out).

But anyways, she went to town on my calluses, using a razor blade (this was sterile- she opened it from a new pack) and what seemed like an electric sander. Gone were my cracked heels in no time, and I was so excited I almost didn't realize how forceful she was getting with my toe hangnails. (FYI it gets a little TMI right now so just deal with it or skip ahead to Thursday)

As she was finishing up, it started to rain, which of course led to a full blown thunderstorm. Not wanting to be stuck there much longer, I hurried out, braving the storm in flip flops and a skirt, thankful for at least the warm temperature. Unfortunately, my lack of hangnails caused an opening to be exposed to the elements of the storm/street, and I quickly got an infection. Luckily I spotted it right away, but resorted to soaking my foot in scalding salt water with antibacterial soap for the next few days in order to drain it out- the LAST thing I want to have to do here is deal with a hospital/medicine. Anyways today it's back to normal, so luckily I fixed it pretty well.

Thursday:

The written final was harder than I imagined, but I finished early enough to enjoy a beautiful walk home (45 min) with one of the guys in my program. We stopped at a botanical garden park in Palermo across from the Zoo, which I vowed to return to to work out/take pictures/read/everything. I also need to start bringing my camera in order to capture the street art- SO many beautiful paintings and graffiti.

Anyways, so I got home and took it easy, reciting the article for my oral exam the next day.

Friday:

My oral exam ended at 10am, so I hopped on a bus home and headed to the park to get FINALLY a work out in. Needless to say, this needs to become more of a habit because I was struggling. Too short of a time later, I headed back to my house, where I rested until attending the Aussie's apartment for the end of exams/goodbye party.

There was a substantial number of people doing just a one-month program, and Friday marked the end of it. I can't really imagine only being here one month- I still feel like I have yet to scratch the surface on the city. Anyways, we went to their apartment where things quickly progressed into a full blown party.

After finishing our glasses/bottles/etc. seven of us headed out into Plaza Cerrano, the main bar area of Palermo, and snagged an upstairs table at some unknown bar. After a great sharing of some french fries, I called it a night and hailed a cab home (only 4 bucks) while four of them moved on towards the boliches. I wanted to make sure to get enough sleep to get myself to the market the next day.

Saturday:

After lunch, Jess and I hopped on a bus to the Recoleta markets in Plaza Francia. We ate choripan sandwiches in a park, where under the shade of the trees we couldn't pick a better place to be. We scaled all of the little artisan booths, purchasing a few gifts for people back home (Henry, my parents, myself) and enjoying the lazy Saturday. Once it reached the afternoon, the heat had peaked and neither of us felt like staying out in our own sweat, so we retreated home. I took the night off because I knew I'd be going out for the Super Bowl.

Sunday:

I had an amazing lazy morning, and caught up on sleep while anxiously awaiting the Super Bowl. I honestly could care less about the Giants or Patriots- in fact I hate both teams, but since the Pats carried a Cal alum I chose my allegiance and headed to an American-friendly bar, Sugar, in downtown Palermo.

While there, I ran into a Cal guy I recognized from around campus, and with him came 20 more Berkeley students with the EAP program. We all got a corner in the bar, luckily since it was starting to fill up, and took advantage of the two drinks per entry with the 40 peso entrance fee to watch it. Some ISA friends met up with me there, and it was nice to relax in a bar and feel back in the States.

Not so nice was the actual game, and the disappointment that the commercials were just Argentine promos and not the hilarious ones from back home. In all honesty, they're kind of the only reason to watch the Super Bowl when teams like the Giants/Pats are playing.

After 5 hours at the bar, I called it a night, and headed home. It was cool to meet a ton of new people, but a reality check kind of hit when I found out this was their first weekend in Argentina. WIth all their questions and eagerness, I realized how far I had come in these four weeks. Instead of bright eyed and paranoid, I was now the expert, giving them advice and calming their nerves about the safety of the city. Again, I find myself loving it more and more here, and it will be hard to adjust to life back home in the city.

Today nothing worth mentioning happened, except I got a choripan from the same family-owned store, and the old guy/father of the family recognized me :) It's cool to have a customer relationship with people here, since they become more friendly and give me more opportunities to practice my Spanish. Tomorrow my classes start late, at 10.30, which is great for sleeping in, but kind of sucks to not have as much free time in the afternoons as before (they end at 3.30 instead of 2.30).

Ciao for now! Attached as always I have pics

 the berkeley/colorado crowd
peers from intermedio dos (minnesota/colorado, davis/berkeley, namibia/australia, pasadena/berkeley- it's really cool that everyone is from all over the states/world)
park art

besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment